Weekend Wrap

Seagulls Weekend Wrap presented by George Hartnett Metropolitan Funerals

BMD Wynnum Manly Seagulls travelled to Mackay over the weekend for 3 matches against the Cutters.

In the first match, our Mal Meninga U19 team flew up and back in a day to face a Cutters team that hadn’t conceded more than 3 tries in a game all season. And the boys from the North scored in the 1st minute to shock the Seagulls.

However a Charlie Johnstone hattrick within 20 minutes pushed the Seagulls out to an 18-4 lead, despite having a man in the sin-bin for 10 minutes within that period.

Isopo Taunu’u grabbed a try just after halftime to send Wynnum to a 24-4 lead. Then Beni Allen put the game beyond reach with a 48th minute try.

A couple of late consolation tries to the Cutters brought the final score to 32-18, with the Seagulls continuing their recent momentum, having won 5 of their last 6 games.

The BMD Premiership were up next, with the Cutters undefeated and our Seagulls missing a number of regular starters through injury.

The Seagulls were in the game at 14-4 at half time, but the Cutters proved too strong running in 6 tries to 2.

Emily Bass and Jayda Lofipo scored for the Seagulls, but unfortunately our girls slip out of the Top 4 after two losses in a row.

With plenty of talent due back in the team over the coming weeks, our BMD Premiership team will make a strong push for the finals.

The Hostplus Cup players ran out to a good crowd at BB Print Stadium to see two teams in the Top 4 battle it out.

The Cutters scored early before Sefa Roache-Faimalo hit back for the Seagulls in the 18th minute.

Mackay then scored twice in eight minutes to break out to a 14-6 lead, before Broncos-contracted Cory Paix scored for the Seagulls just before halftime.

The halftime score was 14-12 to Mackay.

Luke Gale continued his good form and crashed over the line immediately after halftime to put the Seagulls in front 18-14.

However, not long after, Mackay again scored twice in eight minutes to hit the front 24-18.

The next 15 minutes saw a tug-of-war for momentum as the Seagulls looked to hit back, but ultimately a couple of penalty goals in the 71st and 74th minutes to Mackay extended their lead.

Cory Paix scored a late try to give the Seagulls some hope, even more so when a Cutters played was sin binned off the ensuing kickoff. But the Seagulls couldn’t find that killer blow in the final few minutes, and the game finished 28-24 to Mackay.

Wynnum Manly fall a few places on the ladder but are very much in the hunt given the evenness of the competition.

A well-earned weekend off for the Seagulls approaches, before facing Tweed on Sunday 5 May. Our BMD Premiership and Mal Meninga teams are back at BMD Kougari Oval this Sunday 28 April.