Capitol Coatings Throwback: 1985

Seagulls Forever & Capitol Coatings look back at a classic match from 1985.

Wynnum Manly Seagulls soared to greater heights on Sunday at Lang Park, this time it was at the expense of Brothers.

The Brethren had no answer to the high flying Gulls in the Woollies preseason final. They were defeated 32 to 10 in a virtual training run for the Seagulls pack.  The premiers lived up to their reputation as a champion outfit and are poised to go one better this year and take out the three major titles.

Des Morris and the Seagulls can hold their heads high, because they are well drilled unit which has plenty of depth, this depth was shown in the Woolies Final when replacements had to be called on in the third and last quarters.

The first quarter was a virtually a warmup for the gulls, which were a little slow to get the adrenalin moving.  It showed on the board when the Seagulls were trialling 6 points to nil with only about 20 seconds left, centre Brett French scored a top try which was converted by Warren Green to bring the scores level with Brothers at 6 all.

Seagulls made every post a winner in the second quarter when they bounced back with two tries by captain David Green and two conversions by Warren Green.  This gave them and 18 points to 6 lead at half time.

Winger Terri Butler put the gulls further in front six minutes into the third quarter, when he scored a gem of a try after getting a pass from Brian Walsh, Green converted to make the scores 24- 6.

Brothers bounce back with a runaway try which covered covered 70 metres by Robert Grogan.

Green gave the Seagulls more points when he kicked a penalty goal just before three quarter time to give them a 26- 10 lead.   He had a field day with the boot picking six goals from six attempts.

The Seagulls added the final nail to the coffin in the 6th minute of the last quarter when Peter Dawes popped up of the ball for Ian French to go over.   It was a top team try and was started by Bob Lindner who made a break downfield, Green converted to make the final score 32 points to 10.

Butler showed he’s valuable player by keeping Brothers defence out in the final stages of the match, he continually bundled the opposition into touch.  Second rower Mal Green won the man of the match award for the most devastating defender.  This award could have gone to many of the gulls players.  

Top performance were also recorded by Greg Dowling, Brett French, Peter Dawes, Wally Lewis, Terry Butler and Colin Scott.

The match, however with marred by an all in brawl late in the last quarter.  Brothers replacement Steve Carter was sent off after the incident.