Article found on QRL website
The RISE program is the pathway beyond community rugby league for aspiring players and coaches.
The RISE player and coach development program will provide the state with an aligned program adopted by all teams and coaches in preparation for the QRL rebel State Development Series.
The combination of increased playing opportunities and structured training programs is designed to support ongoing participation in community rugby league while preparing our male and female players for future pathway opportunities.
Critically, RISE and the rebel State Development Series are addressing the challenge of talent identification in a physical contact sport.
The content of the program and increased access is aligned to evidence that recommends avoiding the selection of small groups of players during early teenage years. Often player selection is biased towards players who physically mature ahead of other participants of the same age.
Participants between the ages of 13 and 15 – male and female – will complete five face-to-face training sessions focusing on four key development areas.
The four key development areas
- Prepare to Play Program: Evidence-based activities that aim to develop key physical competencies to increase athletic performance and reduce the risk of injury
- Technical and tactical skills: Improving players attacking and defensive skills using age, gender, and development stage appropriate activities
- Physical Development Program: Introduction to the foundations of strength and conditioning whilst developing player fundamental movement patterns
- Life Fit Program, in partnership with Griffith University: Completion of a series of online modules and training activities that help them develop the socio-emotional skills to tackle life’s challenges
The program offers a level of accreditation respective of age that is also recognised nationally and enables participants to ‘give back to the game’ in support of younger grass root playing groups:
- Bronze – Under 13 Boys and Under 13 Girls – Foundation 1 Referee
- Silver – Under 14 Boys and Under 14 Girls – LeagueSafe
- Gold – Under 15 Boys and Under 15, Under 16 Girls – Community Coach
Program costs will differ across locations depending on sponsorship, association, and club support.