Weekend Wrap

Weekend Wrap presented by GHM Funerals

Sunday saw the return of Rivalry Round to BMD Kougari Oval, as the BMD Wynnum Manly Seagulls faced the Redcliffe Dolphins. On a rain-soaked afternoon where umbrellas and jackets were flying out of our merchandise stand, a surprisingly good crowd came through the gates to be part of the Seagulls Old Gulls Day. This game is always a competitive clash between two bitter rivals.

The McDonalds Seagulls Academy teams kicked off early, with the Dolphins proving too good in the Cyril Connell, Mal Meninga and Harvey Norman U19. That was the final game of the season for our Cyril Connell Cup and Harvey Norman U19, both of which just missed the finals in 2024.

Our BMD Premiership Women played against the Brisbane Tigers in the 4th game of the day as they looked to continue their unbeaten run. In a tight match with increased handling errors due to the rain, our Seagulls defended very well and looked the better team. Unfortunately they couldn’t get their attack firing and the game remained 6-6 for a long period.

A late penalty to the Tigers proved the difference as they held on to win 8-6 over the Seagulls.

Prior to Hostplus Cup kickoff, the Seagulls paid respect to 9 club legends that had passed away over the offseason, all making various contributions to the club over many years.

The crowd swelled late and it didn’t take long for the Seagulls to show their intent on Old Gulls Day, with big Cooper Page Wilson barrelling over from close range to open the scoring in the 4th minute. Less than 10 minutes later, the Seagulls were in again, as Connor Broadhurst fooled the Redcliffe defence to sneak down the short side and dive over untouched. Seagulls led 12-0 after 13 minutes.

But anyone who knows the rivalry between these two clubs, knew that the Dolphins wouldn’t go away easily. They had a bigger forward pack and have a strong team this season through their affiliation with the Dolphins NRL team. And hit back they did in the 20th minute through NRL-contracted Valynce Te Whare. And the again 10 minutes later to bring the score to 12-12 after 30 minutes.

The continuous rain couldn’t dampen the crowd, as they knew a big finish was to come. The Seagulls opened the scoring in the second half, similar to the first, as winger Sione Hopoate crossed for a try. Bryce Donovan converted and took to lead to 18-12.

The game went back and forth for the next 20 minutes, with great defence from both sides, as well as a few handling errors in the wet. The Seagulls broke the stalemate as they scored again in the 73rd minute to all but seal the game. Fullback Matt Milson, on the comeback from injury, finished off a great team try to extend the Seagulls lead to 22-12.

And that is where the score remained as the Seagulls closed out the game for a great Rivalry Round result.

All competitions take a break over Easter, with the next home game on Saturday 6 April for our Hostplus Cup, BMD Premiership and Mal Meninga Cup.