Wynnum strike back in second half over Capras

By Kenny Andres

Wynnum Manly scored 24 unanswered points against the Capras to register their third win of the season against a CQ Capras side who just were not able to keep up their up-tempo first half play.

The first half was a contrasting story, with the Capras dominating possession, scoring first through fullback Zeik Foster in the 12th minute and then again with Junior Kirisome 10 minutes later.

Their first half performance was then punctuated by a Maipele Morseau four pointer courtesy of an impressive Jet Key offload in the six minutes out from halftime.

Things then got hectic when centre Nathan Bassani stripped the ball from Seagulls winger Daniel Ogden in the dying seconds of the first half, but fortunately for the bewildered visitors, no points would eventuate, leaving the halftime score of 14-0.

The Capras dominance looked to continue when Foster almost added the first try of the second half when a well-weighted grubber was grounded, but unfortunately for the home side, his team-mates were offside.

The second half at Browne Park was a positive place for the Gulls last season, and that was again true in Round 8 as they finally showed some signs of life when a perfectly weighed Michael Dobson kick forced Foster in-goal.

This presented Wynnum with a repeat set that saw veteran hooker Mitch Moore to sneak through from dummy half for his side’s first try of the night which ignited the comeback.

The roll continued with momentum remaining Wynnum’s way. Dobson sent up towering bomb to find a flying Delouise Hoeter on the other end of it for the Seagulls’ second.

The Capras were still in the game though, and centre Connor Broadhurst’s efforts to re-snatch momentum were evident, with him creating multiple half chances down the left edge. But the Capras simply couldn’t capitalise.

Another kick-driven-repeat set proved profitable for the visitors who again scored on the ensuing set; finding space for Patrick Templeman to duck under tackles for the game-tying try.

Shaun Nona converted from out wide and Wynnum had the lead for the first time in the game with 15 minutes to go.

Wynnum blew an opportunity for breathing space when after Mitchell Frei let a pass float forward, but atoned a few sets later when a set play had hooker Mitch Cronin scoot and scout Daniel Ogden on the blind side, before the winger found Templeman backing up for his second try of the game.

Another Nona conversion gave the visitors an eight-point lead with as many minutes remaining.

Things would effectively be on ice when an offside penalty allowed Nona to soak up some time as he was adding two points with a penalty goal, but that didn’t stop the final two minutes providing plenty of excitemen.

Dave Taylor chipped for winger Chanel Seigafo to create some last minute drama, but the Seagulls held on.

See the final team line-ups and full scoring details at QRL Live

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 24 (Patrick Templeman 2, Mitchell Moore, Delouise Hoeter tries; Shaun Nona 4 goals) def CQ CAPRAS 14 (Zeik Foster, Junior Kirisome, Maipele Morseau tries; Connor Broadhurst goal) at Browne Park.

*Kenny Andres is a QRL Correspondent covering the Wynnum Manly Seagulls